I am absolutely positive that this has been the one recipe you were all waiting for. Gluten free lemon, lavender and citrus cupcakes with shortbread cookies. I adapted this recipe from here.
Normally I would bake the entire cupcake from scratch, but with all the cooking I did for this meal I got lazy and used Betty Crocker’s gluten free chocolate cake mix and just used an extra egg, added in some sugar and cocoa and then added some freshly squeezed juice from an orange to make it more flavourful & fluffier.
Chocolate Lavender Citrus Cupcakes & Cookies
• 1 1/2 c gluten free all-purpose flour
• 1/2 corn starch
• 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
• 1 c unsalted butter, room temp
• 1/2 c icing sugar
• 1 tsp vanilla
• 1 tbsp dried culinary lavender
• 1 tbsp lemon zest
• 4 c icing sugar
• 3 tbsp whipping cream
• 1 tbsp lemon zest
• 1 tbsp culinary lavender
• 1 tsp clear vanilla extract
• 1 c vegetable shortening
• 1 egg white
1. Infuse the whipping cream and lavender for the icing overnight.
2. Bake your favourite chocolate cupcake recipe! I used Betty Cocker’s Gluten Free mix because I was feeling lazy.
3. For the shortbread cookies, mix all ingredients and then chill the batter. Roll it out and cut the cookies and bake at 350F for 10 minutes.
4. It’s time for the icing! Take out the whipping cream and mix all the ingredients together using an electric mixer.
5. Garnish the cupcakes with orange zest.
Posted in Food, Gluten Free • 8 Comments
Time for part 3 of the Mother’s Day dinner recipes! This is the best chicken I have ever tasted. I’m not even kidding here, it is. My mom said the same thing. Once again, just like the salad dressing, the marinade can be made days in advanced and is the star of the show.
Lemon & Garlic Herb Marinade
• 6 tbsp olive oil
• 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 1/2 tsp thyme
• 1tsp oregano
• 1 1/4 tsp sea salt
• 1/2 tsp pepper
• 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
• lemon zest
Spices: parsley, garlic powder, lemon & pepper seasoning to taste.
1. Marinate the chicken in the sauce in plastic baggies for at least 2 hours, up to 12. We marinated ours for about 4.5 and the flavour was amazing. You really want the garlic & herbs to sink into the meat. Grill & enjoy!
You want to used thin, boneless chicken breasts for this one. Grill for about 5 min per side on high. Lightly dust with garlic powder & pepper once done. I truly mean it when I say I’ve never had chicken this good.
Posted in Food, Gluten Free • 3 Comments
Well, here’s recipe number 2 from the Mother’s Day dinner I prepared! Chilled avocado & cucumber soup. This one was my dad’s favourite dish of the night. He ate almost all the leftovers by himself the next day. This recipe requires either a food processor or a large blender.
Chilled Avocado & Cucumber Soup
• 1 large cucumber, pealed
• 2 avocados
• 5 green onion ends (white parts only)
• 2 tbsp finely chopped spinach
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1c buttermilk
• lime juice (about 1-2 wedges)
• lemon juice (about 1/2 tsp)
• spices: paprika, dried celery root, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper
1. Blend all the ingredients in a blender or a food processor until creamy
2. Chill the soup for 1-2 hours before serving, garnish with sour cream, paprika and shredded cucumber.
This is another great recipe for a warm day. It’s very refreshing and soothing. It will keep fresh in the frige for 2-3 days. Make sure you serve it chilled – it will taste bitter if it’s the slightest bit warm.
Posted in Food, Gluten Free • 4 Comments
So if you saw my Mother’s Day post yesterday, I mentioned this amazing salad. This is one of my new favourites and it was really easy to make. You can make the dressing days, or weeks in advanced.
It’s a chilled salad – perfect for a warm day either as lunch or a side at dinner. It can be surprisingly filling. The dressing is the real star of this recipe. I used some of it the next day on a salad with lettuce, corn, bacon bits and hardboiled eggs. I think it’s my new favourite salad. It could be a side or even a full lunch.
Quinoa Mustard & Agave Bean Salad
• 1/3 c grapeseed oil
• 1/4 tsp dijon mustard
• 3/4 tsp mustard
• 1 tbsp + 1/4 tsp agave syrup
• 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
• 1 tbsp lemon juice
• Dried spices – lemon & pepper seasoning, garlic powder, mustard seed, sesame seeds, salt and pepper.
• 1 bag green beans, cooked and then chilled
• 1 package gourmet grape tomatoes (yellow, orange, red, etc)
• 1/4 c quinoa
1. Mix the dressing together, pour as much dressing as you like over the salad and let it marinate for half an hour to an hour in the fridge so that the beans really absorbs the flavour. Serve chilled. I used almost all of the dressing when I made this. It was a huge hit. It’s the perfect combination of sweet & tanginess. Store leftover dressing in a tightly sealed mason jar.
Posted in Food, Gluten Free • 11 Comments
On Thursday, it was my mom’s birthday so we had our mother’s day and birthday dinner that night.
I made chilled cucumber & avocado soup, lemon garlic & herb chicken, quinoa mustard & agave bean salad and gluten free chocolate lavender-citrus cupcakes with shortbread cookies on top. Everything was delicious.
I’ll be posting the recipes to everything I made, but I’ll be posting them one at a time since there are so many. Happy Mother’s day everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful day today with your momma’s and babies!
Posted in A Day In The Life • 9 Comments