March 6th, 2014 | Lemon & Nut Basmati Rice Bowl
The avocado addiction continues. (Actually, I don’t think it will ever end. Avocados are my favourite and I’m always trying to find new ways to enjoy them.) But this time, I’m not putting it between to pieces of bread. Basmati rice is another favourite of mine. I love its distinct taste compared to other types of rice. It’s considered to be the ‘supergrain’ of rices. Energy gained from eating it is released at a steadier and slower rate due to its low-medium glycemic index. This also makes it a great choice for those who are diabetic. It also has all 8 essential amino and folic acids and is low in sodium. The more you know!
This recipe is pretty simple and doesn’t take very long as well. The longest part is cooking the rice (which doesn’t even take very long) and then I just do everything else while its cooking. It’s great for lunch.
• 2 lemon wedges
• Sun sprouts
• Tamari sauce (gluten free)
• Basmati rice
• Dried basil, sage, oregano
• Crushed nuts (I used walnuts and pecans)
1. Follow the directions on the packaging for the rice for one serving & cook per instructions. (Or follow the instructions here.)
2. In a separate bowl, mix together some tamari sauce and soy sauce. I realize tamari sauce has a bit of soy sauce in it, but I personally find it not strong enough so I like to add a little bit of extra. I’d say probably about 1-2 tbsp of tamari and 1-2 tsp of soy sauce depending on how much sauce you’d like/how many servings you’re making. I usually just eyeball it.
3. Next add in however much spice you’d like – I use around 1/8th of a tsp. Plate the rice, avocado, sprouts and nuts and then the sauce and mix it together. Super easy!
I wish I could give more exact measurements, but I seriously just usually eyeball this one or judge it by taste depending on how hungry I am and how much rice I use. It really is a yummy dish though!
Happy eating! :)