May 29th, 2011 | Gluten Free Mozzarella Sticks
One of the things I’ve missed the most on my gluten free diet is cheese sticks. I always have to resist the urge to order them whenever I’m out with friends, and I’ve never been able to find gluten free ones in stores. So I decided to try making my own. You’ll need 3 bowls, gluten free bread crumbs, milk, dried parsley, mozzarella cheese strings, 2 eggs, gluten free flour, tomato paste, onions, garlic, oregano, salt, olive oil.
In 3 separate bowls combine the following ingredients. Bowl 1: Gluten free flour, Bowl 2: 2 eggs & milk, Bowl 3: Gluten free bread crumbs and parsley.
• Cut the mozzarella sticks in half or thirds.
• Roll them first in the flour, than the eggs & milk, then the crumbs. Do this about 2 or 3 times.
• Place them on a tray and flash freeze them for about 20 minutes. This will make it easier to fry them without the cheese fully melting inside and creating a mess before they’re cooked. While they’re freezing, make the sauce.
• 1 can tomato paste
• finely chopped onions
• 1 clove minced garlic
• Dried oregano, basil, salt & pepper sugar to taste
• ¼ c water,
• 1tbsp olive oil and garlic salt.
Combine all the ingredients in a pot and warm. The sugar is to take out the acidity of the tomato paste, generally 2 pinches does the trick.
Fry the sticks in a little bit of oil until they are golden brown. I freeze some of them after they’re cooked and reheat them in the oven at 350F for about 10 minutes for a quick snack.