December 23rd, 2013 | Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls
I remember growing up we always had one of two things for Christmas breakfast. Cinnabon and raisin toast. Udi’s makes raisin bagels that I really like so I haven’t missed out on that since going gluten free. They recently came out with a cinnamon roll as well, but it isn’t really much like Cinnabon’s although it works in a pinch if you’re too lazy to bake.
I wanted to try and make something that was more comparable to Cinnabon’s cinnamon rolls though. This is what I got. Fair warning, if you do eat Udi’s cinnamon rolls you’ll never be able to go back after this. This recipe is a bit time consuming (I’d make sure to set aside 2 hours from start to finish) but it makes a lot and you could easily freeze some or make smaller cinnamon rolls to get more out of it.
• 4 Tbsp butter at room temp
• 1 1/4 Cup brown sugar
• 4 Tsp ground cinnamon
1. In a small bowl mix all ingredients with a fork. Mixture will be crumbly. Set aside.
• 2 Cups all purpose gluten free flour
• 2 Tbsp white sugar
• 3 Tsp baking powder
• 1/4 Tsp xanthan gum
• 1 Tsp salt
• 3 Tbsp butter at room temperature
• 3/4 Cup milk
• 2 Large eggs
1. In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients. Using an electric mixer, mix in the butter first then the eggs and milk.
2. Roll out the dough on a floured cutting board in a long rectangle/oval shape aprox. 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle the filling ontop of the dough leaving roughly an inch around the edge. Carefully roll the dough into a log. Slice the log into 10 – 15 rolls. Place the rolls into a lightly greased muffin tin and bake for 20-30 minutes at 400F.
Cream Cheese Frosting
• 2 ounces cream cheese (6 Tbsp)
• 1 Cup icing (powdered) sugar
• 3 Tbsp milk
1. Mix together using an electric mixer. Drizzle over cinnamon buns once cooled. You can make extra if you’d like to store in the fridge and add on top as needed.
Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas! For those of you affected by the ice storm, hope you’re all doing ok with this crazy weather! We were lucky and the power never really went off at our house. Stay safe and warm!